Barrister, Attorney
Experience:  15 yrs practice, Civil, Criminal, Domestic, Realtor, Landlord 26 yrs
19958803

I am a renter lived here 16 yrs raised my rent 250 dollars

Customer Question

I am a renter lived here 16 yrs raised my rent 250 dollars in 2 yrs now wants me out no security no nothing what can i do i dont have the money to move place has many violations supposed to be a two two now two one bedrooms and 2 efficiencys. Nothing done to code. Supposed to take care of lawn i did also garbage i did nothing taken off rent k have to have some rights lease is up november 31 i have no money to move now they say they want me out by October 31 what do i do
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 month ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply,but rest assured, I am working on your question.

.

Are you under a written fixed term lease or are you month to month?

.

Have they given you a written notice to terminate your tenancy?

.

Do the problems have something to do with your lease termination?

.

Did you report them to the local building inspector and now they are ending your tenancy?

.

.

thanks

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Lease is up november first text then ritten notice they say they are renovating property my neighbors have many times should i pay rent or not
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 month ago.

Ok, I don't like giving bad news, but it is part of the job... If your lease is expiring, then you can't force them to renew it if they don't agree to do so. A lease is a contract between the parties that both tenant and landlord agree on. But it takes both parties to agree. So if the landlord won't extend the tenancy, then when it expires Nov 1, they could then file a formal eviction action in court on Nov 2 if you didn't vacate.

.

If they did file an eviction, it will take around 3-4 weeks before the landlord can get a judgment and a writ and have the sheriff physically force you to vacate.

.

I am very sorry that I don’t have better news, but please understand that I do have an ethical and professional obligation to provide customers with legally correct answers based on my knowledge and experience, even when I know the answer doesn’t make the customer happy...

.

.

thanks

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Y did u just charge me 31 dollars
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 month ago.

I am just an independent contractor on the site and don't have anything to do with how JustAnswer bills its customers.

.

I will send this question over to their customer service department so they can answer any billing questions for you.

.

.

thanks