Barrister, Attorney
Experience:  16 yrs practice, Civil, Criminal, Domestic, Realtor, Landlord 26 yrs
19958803

I need to sue someone out of state for some money they owe

Customer Question

I need to sue someone out of state for some money they owe me would this be possible and how do i go about it
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: I am in Arizona and they are in Texas i am in North dakota and they are in Texas
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: i have a written contract
Expert:  Barrister replied 3 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question.

.

How much are you suing for?.

.

I don't understand this... ""I am in Arizona and they are in Texas i am in North dakota and ..." are you in AZ or are you in ND?

.

What is the basis of the lawsuit?

.

.

thanks

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
she owers me 1,450 dollars i currently live in North dakota and she lives in texas
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.

Ok, if the defendant is in TX, you would have to sue her in TX small claims court in order to get personal jurisdiction over her and force her to come to court and defend the case. You can't file suit in ND and legally force her to come to your state to defend.

.

The only way you can sue her in ND is if she was actually in the state and you served her with a summons while she was there.

.

I am very sorry that I don’t have better news, but please understand that I do have an ethical and professional obligation to provide customers with legally correct answers based on my knowledge and experience, even when I know the answer doesn’t make the customer happy...

.

.

thanks

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
well i was thinking of out of state small claims court is this possible?