Barrister, Attorney
Experience:  16 yrs practice, Civil, Criminal, Domestic, Realtor, Landlord 26 yrs
19958803

I own a. Wellness spa and want to install security cameras

Customer Question

I own a. Wellness spa and want to install security cameras in the lobby.? Is this legal ?
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: San Diego California
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Is this free?
JA: The Lawyer's require payment for their services. It's way less expensive on JustAnswer than face-to-face would cost.
Customer: So what's the answer? Thank u
Expert:  Barrister replied 2 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question.

Yes, you can install the cameras in the lobby because customers have no "reasonable expectation of privacy" in a public area like that. You can't have them in private areas like bathrooms or dressing rooms because they do have that right to privacy there.

.

However, you can't record sound as that would violate state and federal wiretapping and eavesdropping laws. So video only in the lobby is fine.

.

.

thanks

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thank you for your time:) ever in sd please come see me.
Angel Cassidy on FB
HealingTouchLounge(###) ###-####
If your ever open or want to trade or coffee

You are very welcome. Happy to help any time.

.

It was my pleasure to work with you and help with your question. If you ever need me in the future, you can post a new question with "For Barrister" in the caption and the JustAnswer employees will get it to me.

.

If you feel your original question and any related follow ups have been answered, I would very much appreciate a positive rating on the answer I have provided as that is the only way I receive credit for my work. If you have a new question the JustAnswer folks require that you start a new question page, but you can request me by putting "For Barrister" in the caption and they will get it to me.

.

.

All the best to you and yours