Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
4460311

I don't know what is abusive and what isn't... my mom has my

Customer Question

I don't know what is abusive and what isn't... my mom has my head so messed up, I know she's emotionally abused me but I don't kno w how I can explain it
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Expert:  Brandon M. replied 1 month ago.

Hi, my name is Brandon. I'm sorry that this happened. How might I be of assistance?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
What exactly is classified as abuse??

It depends on the context. Classified as abuse for what purpose?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I'm 16, my home life is very hard and I'm trying to get away but I don't know how... I just need to know what to do.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I've been through two lawyers already, why do I keep getting referred to others??
Expert:  FamilyAttorney replied 1 month ago.

I'm an attorney for with 36 years' experience. Can I help you or are you waiting for someone specific? There are a lot of lawyers here, including me, and we all want to help you.

I'll come back later and check later to see if you've responded. I can help you with your question but I need to hear from you. Thanks.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
please help me!!

Hi! I'm more than happy to help you.

Abuse is a lot of different things. Abuse can be physical abuse, sexual abuse, and other types of abuse that aren't necessarily classified. For example, if you were thrown out of the house in the cold without a way to get in, that's abuse. If you were locked out, that could be considered abuse. If you were forced to stay in your room; if your mother failed to show any kindness towards you that's emotional abuse; if you had no access to food or water; if you were made to clean the entire house every day; if you were made to be basically a servant and do things such as do your mother's laundry; if you had to take care of your mother and she was using you as a servant when she is perfectly capable of taking care of herself; if she kept berating you and telling you things you didn't want to hear over and over; if she kept yelling at you all the time that's emotional abuse; if she prevented you from turning on the t.v., radio, computer, music etc. all the time, that could be abuse. Failure to let you use the computer or music or t.v. could sometimes be okay because she can't hit you or punish you but she can take away something, so if she did that occasionally, that would be okay unless you needed the computer for homework.

If she made sure you never had money, that could be abuse. If she said terrible things about you or terrible things about your other parent, that could be emotional abuse. There are so many different types of abuse. Emotional abuse can take many forms too, some of which I included above, such as constantly yelling or telling you things you didn't want to hear, saying horrible things to you all the time or often enough.

Neglect is where your parent neglects you and doesn't take care of your basic needs, and there are many forms of neglect as well.

Expert:  N Cal Attorney replied 1 month ago.

New Expert here.

Do you think you could support yourself if you were to move out?

Do you have any other relatives or friends who might be willing to take you in?