Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

I am receiving disability and have been since 2011, at the

Customer Question

Hi I am receiving disability and have been since 2011, at the time of qualifying i owned a business with my husband as the RME (managing person) Our company is a soul propioter (husband and wife). At the time of becoming sick we had my daughter start the process of getting a contractor lic so she could start taking over the Buisness (it is a busness which is women owned and has long term contracts that have to be finished.
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: i filed out a work report to the Social security office and they don't seem to under stand that the business is bening ran without me but on my tax return made money so they want to account it to me. there is a prevention to have my daughter and Husband say they provided free work (which is true but we don't want to say anything incorrect, i am in California
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: Just the work report which they sad they didnyt get the 1st time and then we had sent it so they had to sign for it , then we hand delivered it. it basically said that as the contracts finish the gross income will go down to0 in time, and that although i might send an email everyone and a while i do not mange the operations or work at the business, at times i have to sign somepaperwork to close jobs. I spoke wiith the office manager and he said cause i paid social sucerity tax on the money that it was mine even if i wasnt working.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: We would like help in saying the correct information because where it stands know they are wanting to have money returned in 2013 and 2014 , so can we offset this amount with the free hours that my husband and 2 daughters had to do my work. and just how do we put that.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 1 month ago.

Hello: This is Phillipsesq. Welcome to JustAnswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

I spoke wiith the office manager and he said cause i paid social sucerity tax on the money that it was mine even if i wasnt working.

Response 1: Unfortunately, this is correct.

We would like help in saying the correct information because where it stands know they are wanting to have money returned in 2013 and 2014 , so can we offset this amount with the free hours that my husband and 2 daughters had to do my work.

Response 2: Yes. Your tax returns would need to be amended to properly pay your husband and daughter for their efforts. Once the tax returns have been amended, then you can adjust the information you provided on the Social Security report to match the information on your tax returns.

and just how do we put that.

Response 3: See my previous response.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Regarding Response 2, Since on the form that SSA sent to me, it says Hello I got my Answer back from my question on Social Security Disability, but it makes no since.
How can you deduct free help on your taxes, Since I have just been through 4 Audits I know that if it is free you can't take it off.
So it my letter from SSA it says a under bullet 3 "UnIncurred business expenses" EXPENSE IS A free Item or service to support your business. some examples are Free Rent, unpaid help from friends and family members, or donated equipment or supplies".
This is stated in the SSI return determination letter I need the legal information to this from the SSA point so i can off set what they have determined as income. It dose not say anything about amending taxes!