How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask legalgems Your Own Question
legalgems, Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 9390
Experience:  Just Answer consultant at Self employed
Type Your Legal Question Here...
legalgems is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

17 year old, Two violations at a traffic stop on 10/16/16 1.

Customer Question

17 year old , Two violations at a traffic stop on 10/16/16
1. unlawful possession alc under sec. 21, 065-c alcoholic beverage control, caught with 6 unopened beers
2. unlawful possession of marihuana sec. 221.05 penal law, caught with empty pipe
Court date on Thursday 10/27/16. We have been trying unsuccessfully to find an attorney. Very small town that has no local lawyers. Should we go to court and represent ourselves .
Submitted: 7 months ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  legalgems replied 7 months ago.

Hello! I will be reviewing your question and posting a response momentarily; if you have any follow up questions please respond here. Thanks!

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Ok thank you
Expert:  legalgems replied 7 months ago.

I am sorry to hear this;

in criminal court, it is very important to have a personal attorney, either privately hired, or through the public defender's office. The reason is that many charges can be challenged based on many different theories; for example, the actual stop can be challenged, along with the chain of evidence.

The state has the burden of proof and often charges are dismissed because of evidentiary violations.

Even if there is not a basis for dismissing the charges, an attorney can be instrumental in arranging a plea bargain, or even a diversion charge.

For example, there is a youthful offender program- please see:

Also, please keep in mind that drug offenses can affect one's financial aid eligibilty if the minor plans to attend college.

Here is what the state must prove:

charge #1

charge #2

I would suggest attempting to contact attorneys in nearby towns.

Here is a referral page for the state bar:

One can also check the various websites such as www.,,

Normally they will charge either hourly, or flat fee. Normally there are attorneys who specialize in this- one can look under juvenile law, criminal law, unlawful possession, or even DUI (they will have experience with the prosecutor, which can be very helpful when it comes to plea bargaining, and to know which judge to try and get the case in front of).


Post here please

No further questions?

kindly rate positively!

all information is legal

information only and

does not constitute

specific legal advice

or a particular course

of action. Thank you

Expert:  legalgems replied 7 months ago.

This may be helpful- so one will know at least what to expect at the various stages: