legalgems
legalgems, Lawyer
Experience:  Just Answer consultant at Self employed
63726236

Well my car was borrowed by a friend with my permission, but

Customer Question

Well my car was borrowed by a friend with my permission, but was not returned. I wanted to file a stolen report but an officer told me that since I gave this friend permission that florida law states that before I can report it stolen I had to wait ten days. Is that true?
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: Well A referral notice was filled by that officer, but he said that thus far that was all that can be done
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No that's about it, just wanted to know if that was true, or was the officer just being lazy
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Expert:  legalgems replied 1 month ago.

Hello! I will be reviewing your question and posting a response momentarily; if you have any follow up questions please respond here. Thanks!

Expert:  legalgems replied 1 month ago.

FL does not have an auto grand theft statute, so the general theft statute applies and that is here:

http://www.leg.state.fl.us/statutes/index.cfm?App_mode=Display_Statute&URL=0800-0899/0812/Sections/0812.014.html

There is no requirement that the car be missing for 10 days; rather once the owner no longer authorizes the use of the auto, it converts to theft

One can file a police report, or can actually sue the individual in court for the value of the car.

Civil court is proper if the claim is less than $5,000:

http://www.flcourts.org/resources-and-services/family-courts/family-law-self-help-information/small-claims.stml

But if you review the above statute you will see there is no 10 day requirement.

Questions?

Post here please

No further questions?

kindly rate positively!

all information is legal

information only and

does not constitute

specific legal advice

or a particular course

of action. Thank you

Expert:  legalgems replied 1 month ago.

Hello again; just checking in to see how things worked out;
if you have further questions please don't hesitate to reach out to me here on Just Answer.
Thanks!