RobertJDFL, Attorney
Experience:  Experienced in multiple areas of the law.
18284290

I feel as though I have been wrongfully terminated from a

Customer Question

I feel as though I have been wrongfully terminated from a position that I'd held for two years
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Michigan
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: Yes
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: There is a potential lawsuit against me for elder abuse, which is absolutely untrue. I can bring character witnesses on my behalf.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Expert:  RobertJDFL replied 1 month ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer. I am a licensed attorney and look forward to helping you. I am reviewing your question and will reply back shortly.

Thank you for your patience. To better assist you I do need some more information.

Do you believe you were terminated because of something like your race, religion, age (over 40) sex, disability or national origin? Were you an at-will employee or did you have an employment contract/union agreement?

What exactly happened?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
After two years of employment I started to be accused of things. This coincided with a change in management. I was being paid more than my co-workers, which I believe had something to do with it.

Thank you for your reply.

Unfortunately, in order to be considered a wrongful termination under the law, it would have to be based on something illegal -discrimination based on race, religion, age, sex disability or national origin, for example, or a public policy violation (e.g., you can't be terminated because you had to serve jury duty or because you refused to do something illegal that your employer asked you to do).

Michigan, like most other states is an "at will" employment state. That means in the absence of an employment contract or union agreement, which may give an employee more rights, you may be terminated at any time, for any reason, with or without cause, so long as it isn't for an unlawful reason like I cited above. While I agree it isn't far what happened to you, terminating you because managers wanted to save money or even because they didn't like you as much as other employees, isn't unlawful, and wouldn't be considered a wrongful termination under the law.

If you need clarification about my answer or additional information, please use the SEND or REPLY button to continue our conversation. Your satisfaction is my goal and I am here to help!

Please remember to kindly leave a positive rating for me by clicking on the stars, as that is the only way experts are paid for their time even though you may have already paid a deposit to the site. Follow-up questions asked in this thread do not cost anything additional after leaving a positive rating. Thank you!

Was there anything I could clarify for you or additional information you needed? If so, kindly REPLYand I'm happy to help further! If not, please kindly remember to leave a positive rating for me by clicking on the stars at the top of the page. Attorneys on Just Answer are not employees of this site, and are not paid until you leave a positive rating for our time and assistance. Thank you.