Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

I have an auto pay plan from a home security company i

Customer Question

i have an auto pay plan from a home security company i haven't used this service in ten years but they continue to charge my account I've tried to cancel this account but they said i cant because i don't have the password. which i forgot, the company won't release any information about my account so i call make changes. what can i do to get them to send me, some account information so i can correct this problem
JA: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: I live in michigan the alarm company is in Florida
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: no files or reports only charges to my bank account
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I cannot think of anything right now
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 month ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
The only reason they will not cancel is because of a password? Really? Have you managed to get to a supervisor at the company about replacing a lost password, as they have to give you that right?
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page , as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
i cannot easily reach anyone at the alarm company, my calls go to an automatic answer machine lately. I don't have a direct number to call I'm trying to reach the alarm company with an 800 number.
Thank you for your reply.
You need to start by sending them a letter cancelling the service. Next, in addition to the letter, you need to continue to call (or if they have a website use their website to request replacement of a lost password ***** email them). Once you give them 14 days from your letter to notify you they have cancelled, you need to notify your bank and remove them as an authorized payment. If the bank refuses, and you still cannot get in touch with the company, then you need to consider closing your bank account and getting a new account at another bank which would stop all their payments by doing so.
Those are the options you have to stop this issue.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ok thank you
Thank you for your reply.