Irwin Law
Irwin Law, Attorney
Experience:  Lawyer & Real Estate Broker, 30+ years, foreclosure, land contracts, inheritance, probate.
18215332

I had a home equity line with Citizens bank when we sold our

Customer Question

I had a home equity line with Citizens bank when we sold our home and a portion of the proceeds were paid to Citizens to close out the balance on the equity line. They were aware that we moved from Ohio to Florida. Shortly afterwards, we purchased a new home in Florida and applied for a mortgage with Citizens. As you can guess, it included all of our personal information such as social security numbers, dates of birth, work history, etc. Once the paperwork was prepared and printed, it was mailed to our previous address where the new owners now reside. They notified us there were 2 FedEx packages left on the front porch for us. I notified Citizens immediately and asked them to have FedEx pick up the packages and re-deliver them back to Citizens so they could be destroyed. They agreed; however, that was 2 weeks ago and they still haven't been picked up. They're sitting on the front porch of our previous home because Citizens told us FedEx will be there to pick them up so to leave them out there. I am very concerned that anyone can pick up those packages, especially if they've seen them sitting there for several days and have access to all our personal information. I advised the back that I thought this may be a HIPAA violation and their response to paraphrase was "it's illegal for anyone to open mail not addressed to them". I'm sure a crooked person would take that in to consideration and not take the packages! Please let me know if this is a HIPAA violation and if so, what recourse do we have? Those packages are still sitting on the front porch and we're very concerned. Thank you
JA: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Ohio
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: File or reported to whom?
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Expert:  Irwin Law replied 1 month ago.

Good Afternoon. HIPAA applies only to health related information. It does not apply to financial information. ***** *****ks' FedEx would be very upset by this oversight and failure to correct it. You should really get on them about this.
I hope that I have provided excellent service and, if so, would love a 5 star rating. If not, please let me know how I can further assist you. There is no additional charge to you for rating me. A bonus is not required, but is always appreciated.

Thanks again for using JUST ANSWER.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
possible disclosure of my SS # does not violate HIPAA?
Expert:  Irwin Law replied 1 month ago.

No it doesn't. Various state and federal privacy acts may bar the use and disclosure of SS #s for various purposes. .