Lucy, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Lawyer
26798026

IS THERE ANY PROBLEM WITH ME CARRYING MY PET ASHES (IT'S A

Customer Question

IS THERE ANY PROBLEM WITH ME CARRYING MY PET ASHES (IT'S A 3X5 INCH BOX THAT IS 2 INCHES DEEP AND IT IS SEALED WITH A NOTORIZED CERTIFICATE)?
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: I AM IN N.C.
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: I DON'T UNDERSTAND THE QUESTION.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: NO
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 month ago.

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry for your loss.

TSA allows a passenger to travel with cremains as a carry-on or in checked baggage. However, some airlines do NOT allow you to put ashes in your checked bag, so verify with your airline before you start packing. TSA officials are not allowed to open the container, and they won't let you bring it if you can't see the inside, so you want something that they can put through the X-Ray machine. TSA recommends using a wood or plastic urn for travel, even if you have a different urn you want to use when you reach your location. This helps ensure they're able to properly screen the urn.

If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The sealed container is wood so it could be xray'd - so I guess it would be ok to carry on?

Yes, you should be fine.

Do you have any other questions about this?