Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

I had damages to a gun case on a flight from Binghamton,

Customer Question

My name is ***** ***** and I had damages to a gun case on a flight from Binghamton, N.Y. to Idaho Falls, Idaho. When the Gun Case was opened inside the terminal after it had been checked at the check in desk a couple of the parts of the locking device were either left entirely off or not placed correctly back on the case and would then just slide off. When I picked up my luggage in Idaho Falls these parts were missing. They are two steel rods that slide into ears on the side of the case and have an extension that then is locked behind the main padlock on the case. These rods cover snaps on the side of the case to prevent them from popping open which would cause them to be bent or broken. This as a Cabelas case which they no longer sell but a replacement is around $240.00. Cabelas do not sell replacement parts. This could only have happened in Binghamton as the main padlocks were intact. I got it home by placing some of the small TSA locks on each snap to keep them from opening. I don't feel that is a safe way to travel again. My phone no. is(###) ###-#### My address is***** Little Meadows, Pa. 18830 and my e-mail address is***@******.***
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 month ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
If the airline damaged your case, they are liable for payment of damages up to their limited liability which is on your contract of carriage (your ticket). So, they are liable to you for the damage to your case. If they refuse to pay, you can sue them in small claims court for the replacement cost of the case, which would be their liability up to the limits which is $3500 (see: http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_US/traveling-with-us/baggage/after-your-trip/delayed-lost-or-damaged/declaring-baggage-value.html).
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page , as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.