Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

I have just had a bad experience with a business in another

Customer Question

I have just had a bad experience with a business in another state on the phone. I wrote a google and yelp review warning other potential customers of their shady antics. They saw the reviews, and replied by posting Dropbox links containing text files with my phone number, and audio files of the phone recording which has me stating my entire home address. I believe this is illegal, as I don't think a company can record you, then release this publicly. Is there anything I can do?
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 7 months ago.

Hello: This is Phillipsesq. Welcome to JustAnswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

I am sorry to read about your difficulties.

You can file complaint against the company with the Attorney General's office of the State where the company is located and the Better Business Bureau.

If the call was recorded in Pennsylvania without your consent, that would be an illegal recording. Pennsylvania requires all the parties to the conversation to consent to the recording. So you can file complaint with the Police or the District Attorney's office about this illegal recording.

As for the removal of the objectionable information, you need to contact Yelp's customer service.

Best wishes,

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
This response was incredibly broad and vague. These are obvious steps to possibly resolve the issue. I was looking for the specifics of law regarding the legality of I business recording me saying personal facts and releasing them to the public without consent. The call stated that it would be recorded, but not that it would be recorded and released to the general public at will.