Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

Girl with high anxiety goes into a court room with an

Customer Question

Young girl with high anxiety goes into a court room with an obstruction of justice charge in Lebanon ohio Municipal court. The judge ask if she has a bond, she says no. he orders her held until I go out and pay $250.00 10% of $2500. She is nervious and starts throwing up in the court room. He orders her drug tested, mouth is too dry and cant pee. Ordered to return the next day to a probation officer for a drug test. None of this is drug related. He had no reason or I think right to do this. She is to show up tomorrow and take a pee test at 9am or face a 100k bond and held. This is ridiculous. Can the judge do this? What should be her move? I know she has pot in her system.
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 7 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Unfortunately, the court can indeed order a drug test at any time, whether she was believed to be on drugs or not. Yes, the judge can order the test and so can probation and parole, even if a person is not involved in a drug crime they can order a drug test. If she cannot urinate they can even take a hair follicle test. A 100K bond is quite high and she is entitled to reasonable bond, but the court can hold her until she is drug tested and the results come back and that is legal even if you believe it to be "ridiculous." In fact, we have the court test defendants even if no indication of drug use is even present in court or involving their crime, that is the routine right of the court.
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page , as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.