Ray, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years in civil, probate, real estate, elder law
8534270

We live in CA. If my husband (individually) files bankruptcy

Customer Question

We live in CA. If my husband (individually) files bankruptcy while we're pursuing a Legal Separation, do I have to attend his bankruptcy hearing in order to have Spousal Support continue? And to continue SSupport without a lapse of time?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Expert:  Ray replied 1 month ago.

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question and respond.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Can you answer my question even though you are not a Family Law attorney?
Expert:  Ray replied 1 month ago.

It would be in your interest to attend here, you are a potential creditor.You want to make sure that there is no discharge of any you are owed.You would just go to meeting of trustee and creditors if you receive notice.This would not modify future alimony but if you are owed past alimony you want to make sure your rights are protected.It would be a good idea here for you to go since you have no one else looking out for you.

And also be aware that any joint debts--he gets his name wiped out in a Chapter 7 and leaves you hanging on them.So it affects you several ways.This would be important for when you file for divorce because his portion of joint debts are discharged.

Expert:  Ray replied 1 month ago.

Let me know if you have more follow up.One spouse bankruptcies can really have a bed effect on you and property settlement in a divorce.

Expert:  Ray replied 1 month ago.

Let me know if you have more follow up.One spouse bankruptcies can really have a bad effect on you and property settlement in a divorce

Expert:  Ray replied 1 month ago.

These issues solo bankruptcy Chapter 7 and divorce have many angles here, let me know if you have more.It was my pleasure to help you today.