Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
4460311

I moved out of my apartment, I had to pay $400 to break the

Customer Question

I moved out of my apartment, I had to pay $400 to break the lease which I did. My apartment was broken in to and that's when I found out my patio door never locked. They came to fix the lock but two months later it was broken. I contacted management 6 months ago and it never got fixed until I was already moved out. They are trying to make me pay Oct. rent with all the late fees. I emailed them asking for my deposit on Oct 17 and this is when I found out about all of this. My friend dropped off all my keys so they knew I was not staying there.
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?
Customer: MN
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: I filed a police report when my apt was broken into because the had stolen my medication.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: A maintence person called me after all of this and said he was here to fix my locks, I told him I no longer live there. I haven't been living there since July because I did not feel safe.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Expert:  FamilyAttorney replied 1 month ago.

Hello and thanks for using Just Answer. I’m a licensed attorney with 36 years’ experience in family law, appeals, landlord-tenant, and other types of law. I look forward to helping you today.

Please note:This is general information and not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed, and no attorney-client relationship is formed. This is for educational purposes only.

Also – I will be typing my answer for you so I’ll be back in a few minutes.

Did you ever contact the landlord in writing about fixing your door? Did you do that twice -- for the first time it was broken and for the second? Thanks.

Expert:  legalgems replied 1 month ago.

Did you still need assistance on the above?