Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

My father owned property in TX, I need to get it in my name.

Customer Question

My father owned property in TX, I need to get it in my name. No will, Being sued for back taxes.
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: The property is in Texas, I live in Portland Or.
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: only a bill for property taxes. My dad died here in OR and there was no will. It is in the small town of Groesbeck. I grew up there so everyone knows I am the only child.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Yes, I have other family in Texas. but I can not fiancially go there at this time.
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 3 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
If there is no will you will have to open probate for your father's estate in Oregon where he died and then you will need to open "supplemental probate" in Texas to resolve the property issue which would be where you ask the court to change the deed into his name. If you do not want the property in Texas you can simply let the property go for back taxes, especially if he has nothing else in his estate from which you can pay the delinquent taxes. You are going to need to start though with an OR probate attorney to open probate and then decide if supplemental probate is worth it to you to get the property and pay the back taxes or not.
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page , as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thank you for the information. I will call an local atty to find out how much this will cost.
Thank you for your reply.
Generally they will charge about 5% or so of the total estate value or so, it depends on the attorney.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thank you for the information. I will contact a probate attorney here in Portland.
Thank you for your reply.
You can get a local probate attorney at the same sites used by other attorneys, http://www.hg.org or http://www.lexmundi.com