N Cal Attorney
N Cal Attorney, Attorney
Experience:  since 1983
9653905

My husband went in for a bowel resection to remove a highly

Customer Question

My husband went in for a bowel resection to remove a highly dysplasic tumor (10cm) from the sigmoid colon on April 20, 2016. He was 44, family hx of colon cancer, rectal cancer and polyps not seen a week prior, opted for robotic procedure because of 2-3 weeks off work. The 4-5 HR surgery was close to 8 hrs before completed. Removed 10 inches of the bowel and when asked if any other bowel was removed, then disclosed they removed 1/2 of the rectum because of a polyp being seen. Post op complications of bloody stools and went home with a catheter. In May, due to distention and abdominal girth increasing the primary Dr did a CT Scan, the anastomosis site was leaking. The surgeon denied this but did start an antibiotic because of ecoli in his urine. No improvement and follow up appt to see the GI Dr who performed the colonoscopy(not the surgeon) ordered a repeat scan, which showed an increase of air and fluid in the abdomen. The surgeon still no convinced, ordered more antibiotics. My husband went septic the first week in September and was transferred by ambulance back to the hospital where the surgery was performed, temp 102.8, vomiting and diarrhea, condition declining. Went home 3 days later on oral vancomycin for over 2 weeks and then performed a surgery where they found two leaks and applied three clamps. Next week another scan will be done to see if this works. This is another surgeon (head of surgery) that stepped in and said "this is our Hail Mary" if this doesn't work he will need a colostomy, which has the potential of being permanent. Also, as a result of the surgery or the amount of times and trauma caused from the insert a catheter for him to urinate (in the hospital after his surgery 4 days and they inserted a catheter 4 different times) he has erectile dysfunction. I obtained medical records immediately after discharge, pathology report read, "unknown segment of the bowel, healthy, pink with no polyps seen, tear due to what appears to be surgical trauma" and all the other reports the rest of the bowel pieces as "sigmoid" so the surgical trauma would be the rectal area of the bowel they were not going to mention. The leak now for 6 months will put him at an increase of cancer everywhere should they have missed a cell that has now leaked into the abdominal cavity. He had 4-5 polyps in the sigmoid area that were severe dysplasia but said it was contained to the bowel, but I feel now, only time will tell. The delay in diagnosis and treatment lead to his sepsis and now the potential for a colostomy due to lack of remaining bowel left to properly repair the colon. Is this something I should contact a lawyer now or wait to see? Thank you.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Expert:  N Cal Attorney replied 1 month ago.

I am sorry to hear this.

You should not hesitate to consult an attorney.

You can get a free consultation with some of the medical malpractice attorneys listed by location here.

I hope this information is helpful.