Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

My daughter's biological father was in a accident and

Customer Question

my daughter's biological father was in a accident and suffered severe brain damage we were not legally married his family sued the responsible party for 30 million although I am not sure on the amount that they received the lawsuit was in his name and they sued for pain and suffering and Lifetime Medical my daughter's father could no longer speak for himself or communicate at all this is money that they received I would like to know if my daughter has any legal right to any part of this money since her father is no longer able to provide for her she is 7 years old
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 4 months ago.

Hello: This isCustomer Welcome to JustAnswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

I am sorry to read about this.

Yes, your daughter should get part of the settlement. You should not even have to ask. The family and the Attorney representing the father should have made provision for the minor child. You should ask whoever is in charge of the settlement funds for your daughter's share. If your request is ignored, then you need to file lawsuit against that individual for your daughter's share of the settlement.

Goodluck with your case,

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thank you so much for giving me that Insight I was kind of thinking that's the way it should go but when I spoke with the attorney handling my daughter's fathers lawsuit I was told by him that my daughter would not be entitled to any money and left her father was to pass away is that not true

If your daughter is a minor, she is entitled to support from her father. Since her father is no longer able to provide the support because of the accident, part of the settlement funds from the accident must be set aside for the support of the minor child. Otherwise, you have to sue whoever is acting on behalf of the father for child support.