David C. Garner
David C. Garner, Attorney
Experience:  JD with Distinction, Admitted to practice in California
19551178

FOR CalAttorney2: I have another perhaps silly question - if

Customer Question

FOR CalAttorney2: I have another perhaps silly question - if someone files a motion in a court case and puts the wrong case number ***** the document - is it invalid? (or another word)??
Expert:  David C. Garner replied 7 months ago.

I will try and help. The short answer is that such an error will probably not invalidate the document. Such clerical errors happen and the court will usually allow the party to amend it to correct it. If the clerks can find the correct case and file it anyway, they the court will usually proceed on that document.

I hope this helps.

DCG

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I am dealing with what appear to be some sleazy lawyers who actually lie in court documents - how honest (blunt) can I get in my legal (motion) commentary. This is an HOA case.

I would not be nasty or overtly insulting, but that said, if you have issued that need to be raised with the court, do so. Don't use 4-letter words or make wild accusations, but so long as you raise real issues that the court should be aware of and that bear on the case, nothing is really off limits.

I hope this helps.

DCG