How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Barrister Your Own Question
Barrister, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 36197
Experience:  16 yrs practice, Civil, Criminal, Domestic, Realtor, Landlord 26 yrs
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Barrister is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am married and live in a community property state. Should

Customer Question

I am married and live in a community property state. Should I pass away first, can I direct half of our estate to someone other than mt
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: We have up to date wills stating that everything goes to the spouse.I would like to change that.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Just want to know if I can make a new will naming someone other than my husband to inhereit half of our estate.
Submitted: 7 months ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Barrister replied 7 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply,but rest assured, I am working on your question.


Expert:  Barrister replied 7 months ago.

Can you tell me what state you are in?


Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Expert:  Barrister replied 7 months ago.

Ok, in a community property state, each spouse automatically owns half of any assets acquired during the marriage other than gifts or inheritances.


Since each spouse owns 50%, they are free to bequeath all of their assets, including their half of community property, to anyone they wish.


So to answer your question directly, yes you can change your will and leave your half of the community property to whomever you choose.





Related Legal Questions