Barrister, Attorney
Experience:  15 yrs practice, Civil, Criminal, Domestic, Realtor, Landlord 26 yrs
19958803

Does the statute of limitations start when a crime is

Customer Question

Does the statute of limitations start when a crime is committed or start when a crime has been DISCOVERED to have been committed? For example, I started to doubt my parentage 3.5 years ago. My birth certificate states two people(who were physically/emotionally/psychologically/verbally abusive throughout my childhood) are my biologically parents. However, as they are both doctors, they could have asked another physician(in another state, Ohio - since I was "officially" 3.5 I have lived in Virginia) to "doctor"(in other words, falsify) a birth certificate. If I get a DNA test and discover my lineage to be different from theirs, can I have them prosecuted for Human Trafficking/Abduction? I am 29 now, according to my birth certificate.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 month ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply,but rest assured, I am working on your question.

.

Does the statute of limitations start when a crime is committed or start when a crime has been DISCOVERED to have been committed?

.

Generally from the time that the offense was committed unless there is something in the statute that allows for "tolling" of the SOL by extending the deadline for some period of time..

.

If I get a DNA test and discover my lineage to be different from theirs, can I have them prosecuted for Human Trafficking/Abduction? I am 29 now, according to my birth certificate.

.

There is no statute of limitations for kidnapping in VA, so if you are confirmed to not be parent's biological child, and they can't provide real records of any type of adoption, then yes, could file a formal criminal complaint and ask the local DA to investigate and pursue formal charges against them.

.

.

thanks