Loren, Attorney
Experience:  30 years experience representing clients.
17897874

I am working and collecting social security. I am 72 years

Customer Question

I am working and collecting social security. I am 72 years old. should my employer be taking out social security? and If not how can I get a refund from ssi?
JA: What state is this in? And just to clarify, when was the purchase made? We have a 30 day refund policy so you can simply email***@******.*** and they will try to fix your problem or refund your money.
Customer: Alabama
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: I am not sure what you are taking about. i am asking about social security being deducted from my pay.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: not that i am aware of
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Expert:  Loren replied 1 month ago.

Good morning. I am Loren, a licensed attorney, and I look forward to answering your question this morning.

Yes. As long as you're working in a job covered by social security, as are most jobs, you'll have to keep paying Social Security and Medicare taxes indefinitely, regardless of your age or benefit status.

Expert:  Loren replied 1 month ago.

I realize this is probably not the answer you were hoping to receive. Also, please remember that this is not a moral judgement on my part. As a professional, however, I am sometimes placed in the position of having to deliver news which is not favorable to a customer's legal position, but accurately reflects their position under the law. I hate it, but it happens and I only ask that you not penalize me with a bad or poor rating for having to deliver less than favorable news.