How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Legalease Your Own Question
Legalease
Legalease, Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 16288
Experience:  15 years exp all aspects of general law
20355756
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Legalease is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My church pastor was receiving free healthcare payments from

Customer Question

My church pastor was receiving free healthcare payments from the church when he became full retirement age it was suppose to stop, when he could go on Medicare, he was able to convience the church to continue benefits for his wife, she was younger. Recently we found out she went on medicare over 6 months ago. We have paid close to seventy-five hundred dollars after she became of age. Is this embezzlement?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Legalease replied 1 month ago.

-

-

Hello there --

It is embezzlement if the congregation chooses to bring him up on such charges. If the congregation does not feel that he did anything criminally wrong then they do not have to bring him up on the charges to the authorities. This type of thing is truly in the eye of the beholder. My suggestion here is that if all of you like and respect the pastor, then you should determine how you are going to approach this as a congregation -- Medicare pays only 80 percent for the retiree, his spouse and anyone else under the Medicare rules. However, the congregation CAN and usually does purchase an additional plan for the pastor and his family that covers the other 20 percent that is not paid for by the congregation. If the congregation is not willing to let the matter pass, then you and other members can come together and place a reasonable fee on the amount of insurance payments and/or medical payments that are owed to the church.

I hope that helps. Please let me know if you have any additional questions -- if not, can you please press a positive rating above so I will be paid for my time assisting you today. THANK YOU VERY MUCH !!

MARY