Ray, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years in civil, probate, real estate, elder law
8534270

I was going thru a divorce in california (30 years married )

Customer Question

Hi I was going thru a divorce in california (30 years married ) when I was served i spiraled down . I was seeing a therapist and started contemplating suicide . I went voluntarily to a 72 hour holding. What I didnt know is by California law I lose my guns . But here is the issue. I work in pawn shops . And they sell guns . I have a job offer to go to Florida to work in a pawn shop but the carry guns. This happened in September 2014. What is the law in Florida . Can I work in a pawn shop that carries guns. If not how long is the period before I can
Thank You
Doug
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Expert:  Ray replied 1 month ago.

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question and respond.

Expert:  Ray replied 1 month ago.

Doug you can work in one, you could own one.I am assuming you have no criminal convictions here.These are the regs and they only restrict folks with convictions.

Have been incarcerated within the last 10 years as a result of having previously been convicted of, or found guilty of, or pled guilty or nolo contendere to, regardless of adjudication, a felony within the last 10 years and not be acting as a beneficial owner for someone who has been convicted of, or found guilty of, or pled guilty or nolo contendere to, regardless of adjudication, a felony within the last 10 years; and

4. Not have been convicted of, or found guilty of, or pled guilty or nolo contendere to, or not have been incarcerated within the last 10 years as a result of having previously been convicted of, or found guilty of, or pled guilty or nolo contendere to, regardless of adjudication, a crime that involves theft, larceny, dealing in stolen property, receiving stolen property, burglary, embezzlement, obtaining property by false pretenses, possession of altered property, or any other fraudulent or dishonest dealing within the last 10 years, and not be acting as a beneficial owner for someone who has been convicted, of, or found guilty of, or pled guilty or nolo contendere to, or has been incarcerated within the last 10 years as a result of having previously been convicted of, or found guilty of, or pled guilty or nolo contendere to, regardless of adjudication, a crime that involves theft, larceny, dealing in stolen property, receiving stolen property, burglary, embezzlement, obtaining property by false pretenses, possession of altered property, or any other fraudulent or dishonest dealing within the last 10 years.

http://www.leg.state.fl.us/Statutes/index.cfm?App_mode=Display_Statute&URL=0500-0599/0539/0539.html

I don't see this as a problem under the Florida law to work in a pawn shop.

Thanks and good luck with the move.

Expert:  Ray replied 1 month ago.

You can also petition to have your firearm rights restored..See page 5

http://www.dcf.state.fl.us/programs/samh/MentalHealth/laws/HB1355-Saleanddeliveryoffirearms.pdf

Expert:  Ray replied 1 month ago.

Once you get settled here is the petition to have your gun rights restored you file in Florida

http://brevardclerk.us/_cache/files/02028e9d-22b4-4dd2-afb2-8b151838765f/Petition%20for%20Relief%20from%20Firearm%20Disabilities%20Imposed%20by%20the%20Court.pdf

Good luck with the move and job. I spend a lot of time in Florida its hot there you need more summer clothes maybe on jacket thats about it.