Thelawman2
Thelawman2, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney-at-Law
66887675

I have a question regarding parental kidnapping. Colorado,

Customer Question

i have a question regarding parental kidnapping.
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Colorado
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Expert:  Thelawman2 replied 1 month ago.

Hello, my name is Jim. How can I help you?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hello, i am looking for information regarding parental kidnapping in colorado. my wife has taken my son out of the state and refuses to return. we do not have any divorce or custody order started or in place. Under colorado law did she still commit parental kidnapping, and can i call the police to have my son returned?

When parents do not have any court orders entered to address parenting rights, visitation, decision making, or the other essential details necessary to protect parental rights, both parents must tread carefully. The lack of appropriate custody or visitation orders means that parents have not sought to obtain jurisdiction from any court to establish the kinds of orders that are essential. In the absence of a court order that describes the physical care of a child, both parents will have equal rights and the police will usually not interfere or dictate which parent has greater rights than the other.

Instead, what you might want to do is seek a court order that governs the custody of your child.