Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

I took out a car loan with a former girlfriend. She never

Customer Question

I took out a car loan with a former girlfriend. She never made one payment and insurance was canceled. I have car on my policy. She filed for a protective order and won, yet the car payment, insurance is all under my name. She is using the car as an Uber driver which I am not insured for.
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: California - Orange county
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: Regarding?
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 5 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
If she is not paying for the car and is not returning the car, then you need to file a complaint in court called a "Petition for Replevin" and ask the court to order her to return the car based on you taking the loan and it being on your insurance. Based on those issues, the court would be able to order the car returned to you or order her to take a loan to put the car under her name. This is the only other recourse you have.
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page , as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.