MIAMILAW1127
MIAMILAW1127, Lawyer
Experience:  Founding Partner at Moises Law, P.A.
89829185

My son and his best friend started a robotics team. both

Customer Question

my son and his best friend started a robotics team. both families split the expenses. They came up with an idea to redo the robot and his friend didn't want to do it. So I bought all new parts and we created a second team.. now the boy is hurt and his mom is demanding $2500 from us because he wants to quit the team together.
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: california
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Expert:  MIAMILAW1127 replied 1 month ago.

Hello. Thank you for contacting me. I am a consultant here and I am looking forward to assisting you with your question. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Please be patient as I will be typing my responses to you from scratch. Also, I can only answer/address the questions you ask specifically based on the information your provide. Please try to provide as much information as possible so I can best assist you.

Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

Is there anything in writing regarding the agreement between the two families?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Only emails now regarding the situation

Then, theoretically, you are not obligated to give them back what their initial investment is.

However, they may try to sue you under a verbal contract or contract implied in fact theory which they may or may not be successful under.

If there is a breakdown between the families that is irreparable, I suggest you return the initial investment to them and go your separate ways before this ends up in small claims court.