Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

My sister has became disabled and has been hospitalized with

Customer Question

My sister has became disabled and has been hospitalized with no power of finance. We have the paperwork filled out but she is unable to sign. Is it legal to have a notary witness the document and notarize it, and will it be legal?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 month ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
If she is still mentally competent and just cannot sign because of physical disability, then you can get her doctor, two witnesses and a notary in her presence to sign and each of them have to sign a statement she was mentally competent and understood what she was agreeing to. If she cannot do that, then in order to get the power of attorney for her, you need someone to get a local attorney to file a petition for guardianship in the local court and get the court to issue a guardianship or power of attorney to someone.