ScottyMacEsq, Attorney
Experience:  Licensed Texas General Practice Attorney
19487448

What are the laws regarding changing residency between

Customer Question

What are the laws regarding changing residency between states? I live in Alabama but took a job in Florida. The job requires extensive travel and I'm keeping my home in Alabama and renting while in Florida.
JA: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Sorry, I was a little slow can you see the previous message?
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: Just employment papers with the new company.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Not that I'm aware of.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Expert:  ScottyMacEsq replied 1 month ago.

Thank you for using JustAnswer.

In what context are you asking about? That is, are you asking if you need to establish residency if you're living in Florida? Is this a short term job?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
It's a full time job but I will be traveling all over the U.S. and there is a potential that after the initial "burn-in phase" I'll be able to work from Alabama at least periodically.

Thank you for that additional information. Please give me a few minutes while I type a response. I am still here with you, but it does take a bit of time to type a complete response.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Understood.

Apologies but my internet has hiccuped and I just got back on. There's no requirement that you have to "change" or modify your residency. Residency is based upon "domicile", which means that you live in a place with the intent to stay "indefinitely". That is, you intend to make it your home. Now there are certain situations where your residency is going to be Florida, such as for taxation purposes (which just looks at whether or not you're living somewhere more nights in the year than the other state). But you don't have to if you don't intend to stay (or are unsure as to whether or not you will).

Hope that clears things up a bit. If you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer AND press the "submit" button, if applicable. Please note that I don't get any credit for the time and effort that I spent on this answer unless and until you rate it positively (3 or more stars). Look for the stars on your screen (★★★★★). Thank you, ***** ***** luck to you!

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thanks for the information.

My pleasure.

If there's nothing else, please rate this answer. Please note that I don't get any credit for the time and effort that I spent on this answer unless and until you rate it positively (3 or more stars). Look for the stars on your screen (★★★★★). If you feel that I have gone above and beyond in this answer (my average answer is about 10 minutes) bonuses are greatly appreciated. Thank you, ***** ***** luck to you!

▼ RATING REQUIRED! ▼ Please don't forget to Rate my service positively. It's only then I am credited.

If you can't see the stars, you may need to scroll up/down/left/right so that you can see them. Again, please note that you have to click the rating and submit it for the question to close out and for me to get credit for the answer I provided.

Did you have any other questions before you rate this answer?

Are you there? Please note that I am still here, awaiting your response or rating... (please note that rating closes this question out, so if there's nothing else, please rate it so that I can assist other customers that are waiting for answers to their questions)

Should I continue to await your response, or may I assist the other customers that are waiting?

Hello?

I see that you have not responded in some time. Please note that this question is still open until you rate it. I believe that I have answered your question, but if you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer AND press the "submit" button, if applicable. Please note that I don't get any credit for the time and effort that I spent on this answer unless and until you rate it positively (3 or more stars). Look for the stars on your screen (★★★★★). Thank you, ***** ***** luck to you!

Hope that clears things up a bit. If you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer AND press the "submit" button, if applicable.

Please note that I don't get any credit for the time and effort that I spent on this answer unless and until you rate it positively (3 or more stars). Look for the stars on your screen (★★★★★). You may need to scroll left/right/up/down to see these stars, but note that the rating is what closes out this question, so it is necessary that you do so.

Thank you, ***** ***** luck to you!