Loren, Attorney
Experience:  30 years experience representing clients.
17897874

I settled my case and the attorney took most of the

Customer Question

JA: Hello. What is your issue regarding?
Customer: I settled my case and the attorney took most of the settlement amount leaving me with most of the liens to pay out of pocket. Is this right in California ?
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: I am filling a complaint now because he is not even responding to questions I have regarding the payments and liens
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: that's it for now
Expert:  Loren replied 7 months ago.

Good morning. I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs, and I look forward to assisting you.

Did you have a written contingency fee agreement?

Did the attorney have your approval to settle for the amount received? Did he go over the terms of the settlement with you and what your net would be?

Expert:  Loren replied 7 months ago.

Are you online with me?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I'm online !No, he did not discuss how the settlement was going to be disbursed because he hired another company to negotiate the liens and pay the liens out for a cost of course. i mentioned many times that i need to know how much was paid to the liens and confirmation that it was paid in full because i don't want anyone to come after me. One lien got in my personal credit and ruined me financially. I sent a letter certified to give me proof of his mathematics for the settlement and he ignored all my attempts.
Expert:  Loren replied 7 months ago.

Thank you for the additional information. Please be patient as I type out your answer.

Expert:  Loren replied 7 months ago.

Your attorney has a duty to protect your interests and if he failed to adequately explain the settlement, its disbursement and how the liens would affect your net recovery then you may have a viable claim for malpractice. He would be liable to you for money damages for the ruinous effect this has had on you.

Additionally, you can also file a disciplinary complaint with the California State Bar. They will investigate and, if warranted, they can suspend or even revoke his license to practice law.

There is really no excuse for failing to communicate with you.

Expert:  Loren replied 7 months ago.

Here is a link for filing a State Bar Complaint:

http://www.calbar.ca.gov/Attorneys/LawyerRegulation/FilingaComplaint.aspx

While the State Bar complaint is something you can do yourself, if you, additionally, plan to sue the attorney for malpractice it is strongly recommended you retain local counsel to do so. If you need assistance finding local counsel try Martindale Hubble (site rules prohibit us from referring specific attorneys). Many attorneys themselves use this site to locate attorneys outside their jurisdiction or expertise:

http://www.martindale.com/Find-Lawyers-and-Law-Firms.aspx

It is a huge worldwide database searchable by location and specialty. The attorneys are all peer rated. So, they represent the top of the profession.

Expert:  Loren replied 7 months ago.

Did you have further questions? Have I answered your question?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thank you so much ! No, more questions.
Expert:  Loren replied 7 months ago.

You are very welcome. If you have no further questions, and have not yet done so, please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for assisting you.

There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.

A bonus is not expected, but is always appreciated.

Thank you!