Irwin Law
Irwin Law, Attorney
Experience:  Lawyer & Real Estate Broker, 30+ years, foreclosure, land contracts, inheritance, probate.
18215332

Can I use a CPN number to purchase a home?

Customer Question

hey can I use a CPN number to purchase a home?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
will I getjail time for this? trying to purchase a houses I tried repairing my credit in additional to a co signer nothing is working so far just wanted to known can I uses a CPN NUMBER to purchase a house and will I get jail time for it?
Expert:  Irwin Law replied 1 month ago.

I will be happy to assist you with information about buying a home. Please provide more information about the financial circumstances that you are in. Also, what you mean by using a "CPN" number and jail time.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
CPN number is ***** second line of credit I have bad Credit I have already tried to repair my credit and nothing seems to work so I was trying to see if I use the CPN number which is the second line of credit will it give me jail time by using it
Expert:  Irwin Law replied 1 month ago.

A CPN is not a "second line of credit". It is actually a phony number that is designed to simulate a Social Security number, i.e. nine digits that are in three, two and five digit sections.

According to the Federal Trade Commission, lying on a credit application and misrepresenting your Social Security number are both federal crimes. Even if you obtain a CPN from a company that looks 100 percent legit, you’re still breaking the law if you plug that into the Social Security box on a credit application. Bascially, you’re lying by omission by substituting a credit privacy number for your real information.

What’s worse, that credit privacy number you’ve paid so much money for could be stolen. Some credit repair companies are actually just recycling Social Security numbers that have been issued to other people and passing them off as credit privacy numbers to unsuspecting consumers. According to a report from the Federal Reserve, credit repair scammers will swipe Social Security numbers belonging to children, seniors and people who are incarcerated just for this purpose.

Using someone else’s Social Security number to get credit in your name is ***** ***** federal crime. Currently, the max penalty for identity theft is 15 years in prison, not to mention having to pay some substantial fines. That’s on top of any punishment you might get at the state level if you’re convicted of identity theft. When you put it in that perspective, it’s pretty easy to see why credit privacy numbers are more trouble than they’re worth.

NOTE: The above is an excerpt from: https://www.creditsesame.com/blog/credit/one-way-ticket-jail-credit-privacy-number/ Not only is it committing a crime, but it is unlikely to succeed in getting you approved for a mortgage loan. The credit bureaus are smarter than that.

I hope that I have provided excellent service and, if so, would love a 5 star rating. If not, please let me know how I can further assist you. There is no additional charge to you for rating me. A bonus is not required, but is always appreciated.

Thanks again for using JUST ANSWER.