Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law

I have been arrested once. It was an OWI. It seems like they

Customer Question

I have been arrested once. It was an OWI. It seems like they are trying to bankrupt me. I have paid for an attorney. I have to pay fine. I have to pay for a Ignition interrupt device for 1 year at $80 per month. I had to go to something called ARC that cost $250. They want me to engage in out-patient treatment. If court ordered, my insurance will not pay for it. I was taking a prescription medication, which was to help me off of alcohol. I remember going to bed and then finding myself in my car, with the front wheels over a ditch. I asked for help and they called the cops. I have been told by an representative of the Interrupt company that if I have an open can of anti-freezes in my car, I will test positive and fail. It is not testing my breath, it is testing my environment. I will test positive and then, 2 minutes test negative. Or vice versa. The device does not work! What can I do?
Submitted: 1 day ago.
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 day ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Unfortunately, what many people do not realize is an OWI is costly to them in more ways than one. Total costs for an OWI by the time penalties and insurance increases and attorneys' fees are done can reach well toward the $10,000 mark.
I am afraid that part of the process is alcohol abuse counseling and also ignition interlock devices and even SR 22, high risk insurance and all of these things are at the driver's expense.
If the IID is not working correctly you need to return to the company supplying the device to document the issues and if they do not correct the problem, then you would file a motion in the court to remove the device based on it not working properly, but you need to develop your proof of this by continuing to bring it to the provider of the IID at least 3 times to show that they cannot fix the device.