Maverick
Maverick, Attorney
Experience:  20 years experience as a civil trial and appellate lawyer
16823287

I went to des peres hospital in St llouis MO on oct 16, 2015

I went to des peres hospital in St llouis MO on oct 16, 2015 as I was ill and thought I was having a heart attack. I gave them copy of my insurance and drivers license and asked them how much it would cost at emergency room. They refused to answer me. I was very scared and ill and thought I was dying so they may have taken blood or an ekg--I don't know as they refuse to send me an itemized bill. I left immediately when they would not tell me the costs of seeing a doctor. I never saw a nurse or doctor and fled the hospital.
Last summer they sent me a bill of over $5000. saying that my insurance company would only pay 20 % of the bill and that I owed $4375. My insurance company had a third party advocate try and get both my insurance companies to pay the bill, and when they refused they asked the hospital to write it off. The hospital refused and now are trying to collect on a false fraudulent bill. They never even saw me as I left early so no medical personnel waited on me. Now they are trying to send the bill to my creditors. I have always had excellent credit and now they are trying to ruin me for false claims of medical attention I never even received. I am now reporting going to them to the authorities, but cannot until they send me an itemized bill. I have waiting 48 hours for the bill, but as of yet still have not received it. How mucuh do you charge to take a case like this? Joan *******(###) ###-####

Welcome to Just Answer! My name is***** give me a few minutes to review your inquiry. Thank you for your patience.

Joan:

We are not permitted to represent JA's customers or to refer any particular attorney to them. However, there are several ways to get this removed off your credit. The first is to file a dispute with the credit bureaus using a dispute letter such as this one.

if that does not work, then you can sue the hospital in a declaratory judgment action and ask for a court order that states that you have no or minimal liability for the bill since your never received any actual medical treatment from there. Here is the law that applies. Here is a sample DJ petition for you to use as a go-by to see how it works. If the court rules in your favor, then you can send a certified copy of the court's order to the credit bureaus to have your credit cleaned accordingly.

Please Note:

(1) The information I provide is general in nature and for educational purposes only. For example, it may help you identify the scope of receiving unbundled legal services from a local lawyer. It should not be construed as “legal advice” or as the rendition of “legal services” on any subject matter. I am not a specialist in any field. This information may not reflect current legal developments for your specific jurisdiction and is not guaranteed to be correct or complete. No attorney-client relationship is established without a signed written agreement and our communications are not confidential. Please do not act or fail to act based on this information alone. If you need legal advice or services regarding a specific matter, you should consult in-person with a local lawyer who can guide you after reviewing all the pertinent details of your situation. This disclaimer also applies to any telephone communications we may have.

(2) Most follow-up questions are answered with in the hour; however, if I am not signed on, please allow up to 24 hours.

(3) When we are done, please assign a feedback rating.