Loren, Attorney
Experience:  30 years experience representing clients.
17897874

My son purchased a used lifted chevy truck from a dealership

Customer Question

my son purchased a used lifted chevy truck from a dealership in Illinois yesterday, the dealership told him it was street legal. It is not. Does he have any rights?
JA: What state is this in? And how old is the truck?
Customer: We live in Wisconsin, he purchased it in Illinois. Its a 2015
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: No. He has only contacted the dealership about it and they said they won't return it.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Expert:  Loren replied 1 month ago.

Good afternoon. I am Loren, an Illinois licensed attorney, and I look forward to assisting you.

Why is it not street legal?

Did the dealer provide a written representation that it is street legal, or other written warranty, or was it purchased as-is?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
It was purchased as is. The lift and the wheel width are not legal. There is also illegal tint on the windows.
Expert:  Loren replied 1 month ago.

Thank you for the additional information. I am sorry to hear of your dilemma. I realize how frustrating this is for you and I hope to provide you information which is accurate and useful, even though it may not be the news you were hoping to get.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I read that there is a 3 day grace period if the sale is considered misrepresented. Is that true?
Expert:  Loren replied 1 month ago.

Unfortunately, when you purchase a vehicle as-is you are basically letting the seller off the hook for any maintenance problems which may exist at the time of the sale or may develop shortly after. Assuming the seller has not rolled back the odometer, for example, they have no liability to you for any problems with the vehicle once you drive it off the lot.

That is why many people who buy an as-is vehicle will insist, before they buy, that it be inspected by their own mechanic.

You can file a consumer complaint online with the state attorney general. They will investigate and take appropriate action.
See the folloiwng link: http://www.illinoisattorneygeneral.gov/consumers/filecomplaint.html

Also, there is no "cooling off" period for the purchase of a car or truck.

Expert:  Loren replied 1 month ago.

I realize this is probably not the answer you were hoping to receive. Also, please remember that this is not a moral judgement on my part. As a professional, however, I am sometimes placed in the position of having to deliver news which is not favorable to a customer's legal position, but accurately reflects their position under the law. I hate it, but it happens and I only ask that you not penalize me with a bad or poor rating for having to deliver less than favorable news.

Expert:  Loren replied 1 month ago.

I am sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

Did you have further questions? Have I answered question.

Expert:  Loren replied 1 month ago.

If you have no further questions, and have not yet done so, please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for assisting you.

There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.

Thank you!