Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law

I live rural, and have few medical choices. The medical

Customer Question

I live rural, and have few medical choices. The medical network, I was previously with was ineffectual from a medical standpoint, and its business practices, one event in particular have badly hurt my credit rating, even thought they were continually informed and my insurance company eventually paid via the state of WI insurance commissioners office. I began as a patient at a new clinic last May 8th. They examined all my previously prescribed medications then and again this last August. The DR. said she would wait, until my prescriptions as prescribed by another DR. ran out. When contacted they refused to issue a prescription, without me picking them up. I was told by the pharmacy that this wasn't a legal requirement, but possibly a clinic policy. Upon inquiring to the clinic I was blindsided by being required to sign a contract, regarding drug testing, and more. These meds were originally prescribed through 2 different psychiatrists that officially turned my care over to any general practitioner, because all anti psychotics and anti depressants had been illuminated and just zolpedin, a sleeping aid, and clonesapan, a anti anxiety drug, were left. There is and have never been any abuse, or other concerns regarding my conduct with these medications or anything. They basically held a gun to my head, I feel, to subjugate my rights by requiring to sign a contract that violates my core beliefs, to maintain my mental stability. This treatment was originally arrived at by 20 years plus of medical history. I've confronted my doctor in this regard in a letter. if such a contract was required for my meds, it could of been reveled in previous visits without creating such a crisis for me. I've attained a 30 day prescription to buy time by a helpful pharmacy through a doctor I had been seen by preciously. I've never had a good expierence with an attorney, and am considering confronting this on my own. No one should be able to put anyone in such a position???????????
Submitted: 2 day ago.
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 2 day ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Every clinic and even doctor can set their own policies for patients. Most doctors today with the closer scrutiny over prescription medications will not issue prescriptions to anyone without an in person visit and some even make patients sign a medication contract and agree to be randomly drug tested to insure that they are taking medications as prescribed. That is not illegal under any WI law or federal law. While I know your choices of doctors are slim, if you want a doctor to issue prescriptions you have to play by their rules as there is no law that makes them write any prescriptions to any patients.

What you have encountered is becoming more the normal type of situation between doctors and patients though and it is suggested by the AMA to protect doctors from being charged with improper prescribing of medications and it is an effort to make sure patients are being properly given medication (it is not intended as an accusation that patients are substance abusers, although that is how many patients may feel).

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page , as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.