Maverick
Maverick, Attorney
Experience:  20 years experience as a civil trial and appellate lawyer
16823287

Story but I was wondering if i could sue a minors parent for

Customer Question

Hello, long story but I was wondering if i could sue a minors parent for property damage
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: We had my wife's brother's girlfriend kid stay with us for a bit and he invited parties into the house while we were asleep and partook in illegal drug consumption. I woke up in the morning to find our room to be trashed vomit all over the place. I kicked the children out who were not welcome but later came back and robed my house took about 50 in cash keys to my car and a gun .. we later recovered the weapon but the cash and keys did not show. The kid then later came back stole the car and caused around 2k in damages and then we had a brick thrown through our window. ... this is in colorado
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: yes
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: all of the cases have been reported
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Expert:  Maverick replied 1 month ago.

Welcome to Just Answer! My name is***** give me a few minutes to review your inquiry. Thank you for your patience.

Expert:  Maverick replied 1 month ago.

Yes, here is the CO law that permits you to make a property damage claim against the parents. Notice that it also provides for your attorney's fees so you may want to see a civil torts lawyer in your area as he/she may be willing to take it on a contingency fee type arrangement.

13-21-107. Damages for destruction or bodily injury caused by minors.

(1) The state or any county, city, town, school district, or other political subdivision of the state, or any person, partnership, corporation, association, or religious organization, whether incorporated or unincorporated, is entitled to recover damages in an amount not to exceed three thousand five hundred dollars in a court of competent jurisdiction from the parents of each minor under the age of eighteen years, living with such parents, who maliciously or willfully damages or destroys property, real, personal, or mixed, belonging to the state, or to any such county, city, town, or other political subdivision of the state, or to any such person, partnership, corporation, association, or religious organization or who maliciously or willfully damages or destroys any such property belonging to or used by such school district. The recovery shall be the actual damages in an amount not to exceed three thousand five hundred dollars, in addition to court costs and reasonable attorney fees.

Please Note:

(1) The information I provide is general in nature and for educational purposes only. For example, it may help you identify the scope of receiving unbundled legal services from a local lawyer. It should not be construed as “legal advice” or as the rendition of “legal services” on any subject matter. I am not a specialist in any field. This information may not reflect current legal developments for your specific jurisdiction and is not guaranteed to be correct or complete. No attorney-client relationship is established without a signed written agreement and our communications are not confidential. Please do not act or fail to act based on this information alone. If you need legal advice or services regarding a specific matter, you should consult in-person with a local lawyer who can guide you after reviewing all the pertinent details of your situation. This disclaimer also applies to any telephone communications we may have.

(2) Most follow-up questions are answered with in the hour; however, if I am not signed on, please allow up to 24 hours.

(3) When we are done, please assign a feedback rating.