Thomas Swartz
Thomas Swartz, Attorney
Experience:  Twenty one years experience as a lawyer in New York and New Jersey. Former Appellate Law Clerk.
8370490

Can I still purchase transcripts in a hearing from court

Can I still purchase transcripts in a hearing from court reporter after lawsuit case is closed? If yes, would the court report still file/provide such transcript with/with the Court? Thank you -

Hello JACUSTOMER,

Yes. A court reporter should make available to you transcripts from hearings even after a case is closed. Court records, including transcripts, become part of the court record or file, which are open to the public.

Thomas

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thank you Thomas for answering my question! I'm sorry I just got a chance to reply. What happened in my case is: court reporter filed/provided part of transcript to the Court after I paid her for that part of transcript. For the rest of the transcript, I may buy from her after case is closed. If I buy the rest of transcript from her after case is closed, I'd think she will file/provide the rest of transcript to the Court - but since case is closed, the Court won't accept new documents (e.g. the rest of the transcript) anymore .. right? Thank you!

No. The court should accept the rest of the transcript for filing. The court reporters notes are still part of the court record of what occurred during the case. It is not new evidence or a new proceeding. It was what occurred during the case, and thus is part of the court file.

Thomas

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thank you Thomas for providing me such clear answers, and they are very helpful!