Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Attorney
Experience:  Active member of the NYS bar since 1989
18321761

I saw a cop that was drunk and in his personal vehicle wreck

Customer Question

I saw a cop that was drunk and in his personal vehicle wreck his truck and put a passenger into the windshield, the cops wife showed up scooted the seat up and threw her purse belongings all over the vehicle and said she was driving, the insurance did do a large payout over 50,000 on this incident, there is more to this and really need to talk to somebody due to the fact the same cop pulled me over and wich I did admit to having 3 beers that night but had been 3.5 hrs later, he lied about everything and convicted me of a dwi.. Is there anything I can do about this as I had completely forgotten that the wreck was him that was involved.
JA: What state is this in? And how old is the truck?
Customer: Jefferson county Missouri, the wreck happened in 04 or 05, the truck was brand new then, f250 4 door 4x4 diesel, the dwi for me happened in 2011..
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: not that I know of, I mean they got paid for it
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 1 month ago.

I'm Zoey and I'll be assisting you. I'm reviewing your question now.

Are you saying that you failed to come forward 11 years ago and are wondering if you can do that now?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
because i had forgotten about it, n this guy set me up 5 yrs ago
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No phone call i cAnnot afford it
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 1 month ago.

No problem. Phone calls are premium optional services and you're not required to pay for one if you'd rather proceed here. Please give me a couple of minutes to type my response.

Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 1 month ago.

States have statutes of limitations defining how old an incident can be before it's considered too old to be filed with a court. In the case of a Missouri DUI, the statute of limitations would be 1 year. In the case of the officer's fraud against the insurance company, the statute of limitations would be 1-3 years from the discovery of the defense.

So you can certainly report the matter to the insurance company and see if they want to go after the police officer after all of this time. Or you can report what you saw to the prosecutor's office to see if they will go forward with an arrest and charge.

But in my opinion, the fact that you waited all this time to come forward and then only after the officer was instrumental in your own DWI conviction doesn't make this case into a good one for the state, even if it survives a defense challenge due to the statute of limitations.

Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 1 month ago.

Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.