Loren, Attorney
Experience:  30 years experience representing clients.
17897874

We were married in 2009. I don't have any kids. We have

Customer Question

We were married in 2009. I don't have any kids. We have accumulated some real estate during our marriage. In the event of my wife's death. Do her kids have the right to go after any assets accumulated during the marriage
Expert:  Loren replied 4 months ago.

Good morning. I am Loren, a licensed attorney, and I look forward to assisting you.

Is your wife on the title? If she is on title with you, is it as joint tenants with right of survivorship or is it as tenants in common?

Does your wife have a will?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Neither one of us have a will. My name is ***** ***** name on the title.
Expert:  Loren replied 4 months ago.

Thank you for the additional information.

If the property is only in your name then your wife's children (your stepchildren), in the event of their mother's death, would not have an intestate claim in real estate owned solely by you.

Expert:  Loren replied 4 months ago.

You should both consider preparing and exeuting your wills to make sure your wishes are known regarding disposition of your assets, in the event of your deaths. Without wills, the state probate act will determine how the estate is distributed.

Expert:  Loren replied 4 months ago.

If you have no further questions, and have not yet done so, please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for assisting you.

There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.

A bonus is not expected, but is always appreciated.

Thank you!

Expert:  Loren replied 4 months ago.

If you have no further questions please remember to rate my service so that I am credited by JA for answering your question and also so that I may close the question.

There is no additional charge to you for a 5 star rating of my service.

Thank you!