Irwin Law
Irwin Law, Attorney
Experience:  Lawyer & Real Estate Broker, 30+ years, foreclosure, land contracts, inheritance, probate.
18215332

I need to know what kind of lawyer I need for the following

I need to know what kind of lawyer I need for the following problem. I took in a coworker back in June things were going ok so like an idiot I co-signed on a car for her in July. After that she stopped paying her other bills and is going to collections and stopped paying me rent. I have resolved the housing situation but she has not paid sales tax or tagged/registered the car. The car's temporary tags expired Sept3. I do not know where she is living in St Louis but she commutes to Columbia MO and works at the vet hospital. I need to know if I can start re-possession on the car even though she is current or if I need to file bankruptcy to get out from under it.
JA: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Missouri
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: No. I don't know what I need to do? Do I need to report it to the police?
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no

Good morning, and thanks for using JUST ANSWER. The fact that she is current on the car loan, but is leading all of her other debt go indicates that she intends to keep the car and pay for it. You are very fortunate in that regard. As a co-borrower/ cosigner, you become liable only if she fails to make her payments. Until that happens you have no right to repossess the car and neither does the finance company. It is a civil matter so there is nothing for you to report to the police. All you can do is keep track of the car. If you find out that she has defaulted, then notify the finance company of where the car is. They are the ones who would repo the car. Right now, the lack of license tags and her failure to pay the sales tax does not appear to be your problem.

I hope that I have provided excellent service and, if so, would love a 5 star rating. If not, please let me know how I can further assist you. There is no additional charge to you for rating me. A bonus is not required, but is always appreciated.

Thanks again for using JUST ANSWER.

Hello again. I hope that I have provided excellent service and, if so, would love a 5 star rating. If not, please let me know how I can further assist you. There is no additional charge to you for rating me. A bonus is not required, but is always appreciated.

Thanks again for using JUST ANSWER.