Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law

I had a felony drug charge back in 2001. I have servers my

Customer Question

I had a felony drug charge back in 2001. I have servers my time, paid all my fines and haven't been any trouble with the law since. I made my mistake and paid the legal price for it. Since 2002 upon my release I have been a model citizen. I'm married, got a college degree and have been working as a manufacturing engineering for the past 10 years. I was wondering if I am eligible for obtaining my gun ownership. I would love to go hunting one day and most of all Have the ability to protect my family and home. Is this something I can have?
Submitted: 10 days ago.
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 10 days ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
I am sorry to say we get this question very often and it is something I am afraid the laws are not favorable on. Once you have a felony conviction in MI and pretty much every other state (with some very minor exceptions), you are prohibited from possession of a firearm forever UNLESS you obtain a pardon with full restoration of rights from the Governor, which you do by applying for the pardon through the board of pardon and parole. Pardons are not easily obtained and you may have to apply for several years before you get one. If you get a pardon with full restoration of your gun rights, then you can possess and own a firearm again, if not you cannot.