LegalKnowledge, Attorney
Experience:  9+ years handling Legal, Real Estate, Criminal Law, Family Law, Traffic matters.
9540344

I have a family member living in my rental and they dont pay

Customer Question

I have a family member living in my rental and they dont pay the rent every month but he is in the process of getting a large settelment from a wrongful death of his son I estamate he has done more then $50000 damage to my house plus rent for three yrs can I attach his settelment to recoop my loss
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 1 month ago.

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Good afternoon. It is not that easy. The reason why I say that is because you first must file a lawsuit against him and prevail and obtain a judgment. Then, you can try an secure the judgment or go after his assets or any money, to satisfy it. In this case, if he is due to get this settlement, he would have the money to pay you and if he refuses after you sue him, you can go after his bank account and try and garnish it, to pay what you are owed.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
can you recomend a local atty

What county is the property located in?

Hi, are you still with me?