MIAMILAW1127, Lawyer
Experience:  Founding Partner at Moises Law, P.A.

Is my client, the operator of a restaurant, liable for

Customer Question

is my client, the operator of a restaurant, liable for failing to provide an extra handicap parking space in a parking lot owed by the landlord, which my client, along with three other businesses, merely has a license to use 35 spaces in, and, thus, has no ability to make any alterations to the parking lot? Tnx.-ET
JA: Can you tell me what state this is in? And do you know who owns the lot?
Customer: California; we know who the landlord is.
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: A complaint has been filed against both the restaurant owner and the landlord/owner.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Can't think of anything else right now.
Submitted: 6 days ago.
Expert:  MIAMILAW1127 replied 6 days ago.

Hello. Thank you for contacting me. I am a consultant here and I am looking forward to assisting you with your question. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Please be patient as I will be typing my responses to you from scratch. Also, I can only answer/address the questions you ask specifically based on the information your provide. Please try to provide as much information as possible so I can best assist you.

Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

The short answer is that, whoever has the ability to make alterations to the property is the party responsible for making the property handicap accessible.

I hope this helps. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Thank you.