Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.

Is there a law which protects students from a classmate

Customer Question

Is there a law which protects students from a classmate which draws pictures of himself shooting his classmates? He also tells his classmates that he plans on bringing his father's guns from home to shoot his classmates and school staff.
JA: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Not a real estate question
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: It was reported to the school. The school attempted to suspend and essentially expel the student, but the district would not allow it, as it is a charter school.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: The student has been allowed to return to school and I am fearful for my children, who are students at the school.
Submitted: 10 days ago.
Expert:  Ely replied 10 days ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

I am sorry to hear about this situation. Please tell me what state this is in?

This is not an answer, but an information request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. Thank you in advance.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Expert:  Ely replied 10 days ago.

Thank you.

There is no law on "drawing," per se. Or, specific classmate to classmate interaction. However, if the classmate feels that the other classmate is a threat, he can get a restraining order - see HERE. In addition, he may wish to tell this to the police or the school. Either/both will then launch an investigation which may prevent violence, so this is highly recommended.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how experts get credit for our time. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars (or failing to submit the rating) does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating.

Expert:  Ely replied 10 days ago.

PS - if the school is not doing much after being told, then one can always get the police involved which would have its own investigation done.

Gentle Reminder: Please, use REPLY or SEND button to keep chatting, or RATE POSITIVELY and SUBMIT your rating when we are finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating.

Expert:  Ely replied 4 days ago.
Hello again. This is a courtesy check in to see if you needed anything else in regards ***** ***** question because you never responded or replied positively. I am simply touching base. Let me know. Thanks!