Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.

Our Italian Club in renting a coach bus for a one-hour trip

Customer Question

Our Italian Club in renting a coach bus for a one-hour trip to a local race track. The bus company is a highly reputable business and is well insured. My question is; "In the event of an accident, can the injured passengers also sue our Italian Club, or are we liable as well as the bus company?"
Submitted: 4 days ago.
Expert:  Ely replied 4 days ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

The Italian Club can be liable in the following situations:

1) If the accident is due to the bus being faulty;

2) If the accident is due to an employee affiliated with the club; or

3) If the accident is due to a contractor affiliated with the club who is basically an employee, and is a contractor in "name only" (subjective).

As such, there is a possibility. To minimize liability, it is recommended that if possible, the passengers be asked to sign a WAIVER agreeing to waive any civil liability of the club in case of an accident.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how experts get credit for our time. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars (or failing to submit the rating) does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating.