Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Attorney
Experience:  Active member of the NYS bar since 1989
18321761

MY FRIEND IS ON PROBATION AND STUCK LIVING WITH AN ABUSIVE

Customer Question

MY FRIEND IS ON PROBATION AND STUCK LIVING WITH AN ABUSIVE MAN. SHE WANTS TO MOVE FROM DAVIES CO. TO MUHLENBERG CO.TO LIVE WITH ME. SHE WANTS TO DO IT RIGHT AND HAS BEEN WAITNG ON PROBATION TO APROVE THE MOVE BUT THEY ARE TAKING FOREVER. CAN SHE GO AHEAD AND MOVE BECAUSE OF THE ABUSIVE SITUATION SHE IS CURRENTLY IN?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 1 month ago.

I'm Zoey and I'll be assisting you. I'm reviewing your question now. Please be patient while I research and compose a reply for you.

Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 1 month ago.

No. Your friend can't move out of county without the permission of her probation officer or the judge. That doesn't mean, however, that she has to live with an abusive man.

She can report him to the police and get a criminal restraining order or petition civil court for a civil restraining order. This can be done very quickly. He would be required to move out and have no contact with her, and that would keep her safe until probation approves the move.

Or, she can contact her lawyer and get her case back before her sentencing judge and get his permission to move out of county as an emergency measure.

Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 1 month ago.

Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.