Gerald, Esq
Gerald, Esq, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years of experience

A lawyer has represented us in suing Iraq for being taken

Customer Question

A lawyer has represented us in suing Iraq for being taken hostages. We have won the case along with other 200 Americans, however, the lawyer charged us 33% for fees, although the Statue in the legal department states that the maximum the lawyer can charge in such situation is 10%.
What is our changes to recover the difference?
Sam(###) ###-#### ***@******.***
Submitted: 5 days ago.
Expert:  Gerald, Esq replied 5 days ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer. Please bear with me while I review your question. I will respond fully shortly. Thank you for your patience.

Thank you for using Just Answer. I want to provide you the best service I can. Please feel free to ask any follow up questions you have.

I am an attorney with 30 years of experience; I hope to provide you information that will help you in resolving your question.

I see that you are in Missouri. Missouri (as does most states) has an Attorney Fee Dispute process that is moree efficient and cost effective than litigation. The attorney is obligated to participate and there is no fee to you to use the process. Clients have reported having good results from the process.

Here is a link to the process:

As far as your chances of recovery, you should have a good chance when you show the arbitrator the statute that applies to your situation.

I want you to be comfortable and satisfied with my attempt to assist you. Please, if you have ANY follow up questions, feel free to ask. Please note that I am generally unavailable Friday evening through Sunday.

I hope the information I have provided is useful to you and that I have earned a positive rating from you. It costs you nothing extra, and is the only way I get credit for my attempt to assist you.

If you are dissatisfied with my response PLEASE let me know before giving me a negative review so that I may try to be of better assistance. Or if you prefer, let me know and I can “Opt Out” and your question can be re-posted without additional cost to you. I will be fair to you and only ask the same from you.

Good luck,

Please note: Information given is not legal advice. Only your local attorney can give legal advice. I can't establish or accept an attorney-client relationship with you. All posts are available for public viewing.