Gerald, Esq
Gerald, Esq, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years of experience
77476456

A lawyer has represented us in suing Iraq for being taken

A lawyer has represented us in suing Iraq for being taken hostages. We have won the case along with other 200 Americans, however, the lawyer charged us 33% for fees, although the Statue in the legal department states that the maximum the lawyer can charge in such situation is 10%.
What is our changes to recover the difference?
Sam(###) ###-#### ***@******.***

Thank you for using Just Answer. Please bear with me while I review your question. I will respond fully shortly. Thank you for your patience.

Thank you for using Just Answer. I want to provide you the best service I can. Please feel free to ask any follow up questions you have.

I am an attorney with 30 years of experience; I hope to provide you information that will help you in resolving your question.

I see that you are in Missouri. Missouri (as does most states) has an Attorney Fee Dispute process that is moree efficient and cost effective than litigation. The attorney is obligated to participate and there is no fee to you to use the process. Clients have reported having good results from the process.

Here is a link to the process:

http://www.mobar.org/forlawyers/services/feedispute.htm

As far as your chances of recovery, you should have a good chance when you show the arbitrator the statute that applies to your situation.

I want you to be comfortable and satisfied with my attempt to assist you. Please, if you have ANY follow up questions, feel free to ask. Please note that I am generally unavailable Friday evening through Sunday.

I hope the information I have provided is useful to you and that I have earned a positive rating from you. It costs you nothing extra, and is the only way I get credit for my attempt to assist you.

If you are dissatisfied with my response PLEASE let me know before giving me a negative review so that I may try to be of better assistance. Or if you prefer, let me know and I can “Opt Out” and your question can be re-posted without additional cost to you. I will be fair to you and only ask the same from you.

Good luck,

Please note: Information given is not legal advice. Only your local attorney can give legal advice. I can't establish or accept an attorney-client relationship with you. All posts are available for public viewing.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Can I show you the email exchange with the lawyer and the statue, to get a better idea for your response?
Thank you,
Sam Atieh(###) ###-####

Hello:

Yes you can post the information by clicking the attachment button.

Or if you prefer we can arrange a phone call and email. There are extra charges for the phone call however.

If you are interested in that click the accept button and I will call you.

I have another call at the moment but should be able to call you within the hour.

I have submitted an OPTIONAL offer to you for a premium service phone call so that we can discuss your concerns more easily. It is purely optional and I do not want you to spend extra money if it is not necessary. We can continue to post at no additional charge.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I will take your offer for the phone call. However, I would like to send you the documents to explain to you the situation; then we can discuss it on the phone. You might have to do a quick research before we talk.
Thanks,
Saleh/Sam(###) ###-####

Thank you for attaching the e-mail. I see the issue seems fairly straight forward.

We may not need to have the call, if you wish to save costs.

What is your concern? you seem to have a good handle on the issue.

If you would like the call please click accept. I will call you as soon as I can get off the call I am currently on.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Really, the main question is; does this statue apply to all claims, or just the one presented to the commissioners as the lawyer claim? Pls call me.(###) ###-####

I will call you shortly.

I am trying to finish up this other call. Please be patient. Thank you.

Thank you for your continued patience. The other call is a conference call and I do not have control over it. I will call you as soon as I can.

I will need to delay the call until after 1 p.m. I am really sorry but I can't get off this other call. I sincerely ***** ***** patience.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I understand, I can wait, I would like you though to check for me, if this Statue apply only for certain Title of the claims or it applies to all. The lawyer thinks, it does not apply to all claims against Iraq, as he stated in his response. I need your openion on this response.
Thank you,
Sam Atieh(###) ###-####

Here is the DC Fee Dispute Program we discussed:

https://www.dcbar.org/bar-resources/fee-dispute-program/

You should contact them as soon as possible.

Good luck.

Kind regards,

Gerald