P. Simmons, Attorney
Experience:  16 yrs. of trial experience
11181181

Is it legal or illegal to video tape or video surveillance

Is it legal or illegal to video tape or video surveillance of a minor without consent of the minor? More or less regarding child rights (If any) protecting children.
JA: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Texas, Harris County
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: N, not at this time

Hi, My name is***** am an attorney with over 16 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Is it legal or illegal to video tape or video surveillance of a minor without consent of the minor? More or less regarding child rights (If any) protecting children as it pertains to Texas, Harris County

Can you provide some context? What is going on exactly? Who is taping whom?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
My children do not live with me. Myself and my kids mom have a joint custody agreement. She is the custodial guardian. I went to visit one day an noticed she has video cameras in every room including the children's rooms "except" the bathroom. Is that even legal for her to do. It seems like a extreme invasion of their privacy?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The children are 13, and 11 years old. Boy and girl

Thank you
A minor child (one who is 17 years old or younger) has very few "rights"...rather, they are subject to the direction / guidance of their parent or guardian.

So there is no "right" to not be filmed by their parent/guardian...if you think about it I suspect you will agree that this makes sense...can you imagine a 10 year old demanding that his parents can NOT take his picture and threatening legal action if they snap the photo.

That said, the court has the power to ensure the parents / guardians do not abuse the child...so, for example, if a parent or guardian harms their child, they can be held accountable.

What you are describing does not appear to violate any TX laws. A property owner has the right to videotape on the property.

Now...if there is evidence that the parent/guardian is filming the child undressing to gratify their sexual desires? That would be a crime...and you could report that to local law enforcement.

Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you for your help. That will be all.

Welcome. Thank you for taking the time to accept the answer, I truly appreciate that
phil