Barrister, Attorney
Experience:  15 yrs practice, Civil, Criminal, Domestic, Realtor, Landlord 26 yrs

What are my rights regarding having a companion service

What are my rights regarding having a companion service animal who also is a fall alert and low blood sugar alert dog.
Can a doctors office prohit me from bringing him to my doctors appointments?

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question.

If you have a "prescription" for a service animal SA from a licensed health care professional, then the SA is considered to be a "medical aide" just like a wheelchair or walker. So you can take the animal anywhere you would normally go under the ADA. So you could take it to the doctor's office along with you as long as it was prescribed and they could only require you to remove the SA if it became disruptive or aggressive towards other people. But most SA's are trained to be obedient and not bark or be disruptive so this normally isn't an issue.

See this very informative guide that speaks specifically about SAs who detect low blood sugar: SA Guide Doctor's office